Thursday, January 20, 2011

Learning all the time

I just finished reading the book Whole Horse, Whole Heart Whole Horse by Mark Rashid (thanks Maryan for lending it to me and insisting that I read it :).  This book was just full of information that I already knew (confirmed it for me) but also full on things that I had thought I knew, but this book clarified it for me, and, of course I learned quite a bit too!

In one chapter he talks about being a young boy and having a horse "The Black" that he bonded in a way that each the boy and the horse gave all of themselves to each other.  Mutual trust, respect and love for each other.  He explains that even though this does not occur for all of us who love horses, he is very glad that he got to experience it and experience it so early in his horse career as it showed him what kind of relationship could be attained with horses.

I have loved and owned horses all my like, but never did I have a horse like Amazing Grace.  She and I bonded in a way that I couldn't explain to people and before reading this book I didn't even know that anyone else had experienced this type of relationship with a horse.  When I climbed on Gracie to go for a ride it was like coming home - we belonged with each other.



I have always loved horses, I have owned them since I was 11 years old, I will always love horses, but I have to admit that since Gracie died unexpectedly a couple of years ago that I do not have the same zest that I did while she was here.  Now, each new horse that I get - whether purchased or born here, I look and look at that horse "will this one be like Gracie?" and so far none of them have been.  I do enjoy and love each and every one of them, but it is like I will now always be searching for that something extra special that Gracie and I had.  If I am very lucky, I may find it again.
Shelly
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

No comments: